Saturday, September 12, 2009

Lesson of the day: Latin Jazz is my Kryptonite


I signed up for dance classes about a week and a half ago. I was so excited about dancing again that I gave 150% of my energy to my first class therefore causing injury. I strained my hip and one day while I was attempting to sit Indian style, my hip locked up and I was in excruciating pain. I had to steer away from high impact workouts for a week!!! Sad but true. Today I felt I was ready to get back in the game. I chose Latin jazz because I am fairly good at shaking my bon-bon or at least I thought I was. They call the beginner courses "discover" so that really new dancers have a class where they can be surrounded by other beginners, unfortunately I did not know that the experienced dancers like to take beginners classes for shits and giggles. Much to my dismay, I was the absolute worst dancer in the class, surrounded by a sea of veteran dancers who blew me away. It was the longest hour ever. Somehow, I kept a smile on face for the duration of the class and then promptly exited while staring at the floor. I want to do hip-hop next but after being disgraced in Latin Jazz...I feel very intimidated. I may work up the nerve by next week. Cross your fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment